UKAS Accredited Sound Insulation Testing
Need to get your new build or converted flats and houses signed off by Building Control?
Trust an established, UKAS accredited, Constructionline Gold company to provide sound testing and documentation.
Air Leakage Testing offers a hassle-free route to compliance with acoustic requirements for buildings. As a Constructionline Gold company, you can trust us to provide efficient, high-quality services.
We are a UKAS accredited testing organisation for Approved Document E sound testing. You can trust that the results you receive are correct and will be accepted by Building Control.
Get a Quote
Air Leakage Testing Ltd provides UKAS accredited sound insulation testing for Part E compliance.
- House and flats
- Schools (BB 93) and hospitals (HTM-08)
- Care homes, Hostels, etc
- Student accommodation
Our Sound Test Engineers are home-based and well-placed to cover Greater London and the City, Kent, Essex, Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire, we are able to test all over the UK.
How it works
We provide a quote based on the number of units and sampling prescribed by Approved Document E – it is usually helpful to have PDF Plans to confirm the layout of party walls and/or floors relative to habitable spaces.
We provide a checklist, agree on a date and call you ahead of the test date to talk you through the process and the timings.
We conduct the testing.
- Airborne tests involve creating noise of a known level (approximately 100dB) on one side of the party/separating wall/floor and measuring the volume on the other side to calculate the amount of noise that the wall or floor is insulating. Measurements are taken in multiple planes and positions, reverberation (echo) and background noise are taken into account. The result is expressed in decibels (dB) as DnTw with corrections including traffic noise (Ctr).
- Impact testing is done using a tapping machine that simulates footfall on the uncovered floor surface. The level of noise is measured in the unit below and the result is expressed in dB as LnT.
- New flats and houses must achieve greater than or equal to 45dB sound insulation for airborne tests and less than or equal to 62dB for impact tests. Converted properties have slightly easier targets.
- Testing typically takes place very close to completion but before carpets or other flooring is laid.
We issue UKAS test certificates for each test.
Why use ALT?
- Helpful – we work with you to achieve the best result, identifying potential issues and repeating the testing once these have been addressed. We are on hand to answer any questions before, during and after the testing
- Knowledgeable – we have been air testing since 2002 and all our test engineers have a vast amount of experience
- Flexible – we try to fit in with the dates and times you need the test, we try to work around other trades to minimise disruption on site
- Responsive – we issue quotes and certificates within 1 working day, our lead-times are typically around a week but we will try and fit you in sooner if required
- Great value – our prices are very competitive but we can also undertake air and sound testing on the same visit to save you more money. If you do manage to find the testing cheaper, we will beat any quote.